If you need a new clutch or are not sure if you do, book a free clutch check at Halfords Autocentres and our technicians will tell you whether your car (or van) clutch needs replacing, or whether what you're experiencing is a symptom of a different problem.
How does the clutch work?
The clutch plates inside your car are kept together by springs when you are driving. They separate when you press down on the pedal, to enable the gears within the car to be changed. Over time this regular, repetitive action eventually wears the clutch down, and it will need replacing.
Five Signs That You Need A New Clutch
There are five signs to watch out for that mean you could need a replacement:
- The revs keep climbing but there is little increase in vehicle speed
- Loss of acceleration as the clutch 'slips' or a complete loss of drive
- Difficulty changing gears
- Grinding or rattling noise when changing gears
- Engine revs climb or fall of their own accord