If you need a new clutch or are not sure if you do, book a free clutch check at Halfords Autocentres and our technicians will tell you whether your car clutch or van clutch needs replacing, or whether what you're experiencing is a symptom of a different problem..
Your clutch is an essential part of your car. While your only experience is maybe pressing down on the clutch pedal, inside there's a lot more going on that you don't see.
The clutch plates inside your car are kept together by springs when you are driving. They separate when you press down on the pedal, to enable the gears within the car to be changed. Over time, this regular, repetitive action eventually wears the clutch down, and it will need replacing.
Five Signs That You Need A New Clutch
It's not always easy to know when your clutch need changing. There are five signs to watch out for when it comes to your vehicle's performance that mean you could need a replacement:
- The revs keep climbing but there is little increase in vehicle speed
- Loss of acceleration as the clutch 'slips' or a complete loss of drive
- Difficulty changing gears
- Grinding or rattling noise when changing gears
- Engine revs climb or fall of their own accord