Oct 2015 | Pupils design motor safety product for Halfords Autocentres
Ben Murray, a 16 year old from Gloucestershire and his fifteen school friends, have designed a motoring safety product for Halfords Autocentres
- Tyre Tread keyring will be available at Halfords Autocentres across UK
- Launches in time for Tyre Safety Month
- Motorists will also get free tyre checks and £10 off each pair of tyres
- Tread depth: The legal limit for the minimum depth of the tread on your tyres is 1.6 millimetres, but performance begins to drop off after falling below 3mm. The wider the tyre, the higher the risk of aquaplaning in the wet so Halfords recommends they should be changed once they reach a depth of 2mm.
- Tyre condition: Motorists are advised to inspect the tyre for signs of irregular wear or damage such as lumps, bumps or cuts.
- Air pressure: Check that the vehicle's pressure is at the right level for the load through your car owner's manual or stickers on the fuel flap.
Ben Murray, a 16 year old from Gloucestershire and his fifteen school friends, have designed a motoring safety product for Halfords Autocentres, which will be available to motorists for free at over 300 sites from next week in time for Tyre Safety Month.
While stuck in the traffic on the school bus a brainwave struck. Ben says: ''I read that almost a quarter of the cars on Britain's roads had unfit tyres so had the idea that we would design a product which would remind younger drivers to check their tyre treads. We struck a deal to supply 20,000 units to Halfords Autocentres after pitching to them.''
The limited edition keyring acts as a continuous reminder to motorists of the need to check their tyre tread regularly. It is the result of a national Young Enterprise competition entered by Ben and his chums from the Balcarras School in Gloucestershire.
Stefan Warhaftig, Commercial Director for Halfords Autocentres says: ''When we saw Ben's pitch we couldn't resist. We were surprised that so many drivers don't have their tyres checked regularly - tread depth can reduce braking and steering ability especially in unpredictable weather and wet driving conditions. We're really proud to offer the free Tyre Tread Keyring and a free tyre check for every motorist.''
Halfords Autocentres are also offering a free tyre and pressure check - comprising a pressure check and inspect for tread depth, wear and damage by ATA trained technicians - at over 300 autocentres across the UK.
To ensure your car is as safe as it can be on the roads, it's good practice to check your tyres on a regular basis. Incorrect tyre pressures can also cause your tyres to wear abnormally, increasing fuel consumption and shortening the life of your tyres, so Halfords Autocentres recommends motorists undertake the following checks: